Here are questions from Round 4, Semifinals, and the Finals of the Duke Invitational, held last weekend on NSDA Campus. Next week, we will be returning to our normal question structure. Happy practicing!
China (Round 4)
- Did the COVID-19 pandemic signal the end of years of record GDP growth in China?
- Was the US wise to revoke Chinese student visas on national security grounds?
- How will COVID-19 alter the Belt and Road Initiative?
- Are US weapons sales to Taiwan enough to deter a potential military conflict with China?
- Will recent talks between India and China help defuse their border tensions?
- Does the recent standoff between the US and China concerning TikTok signal a worldwide internet splinter?
- What will be the implications of the Kuomintang’s collapse in Taiwan?
- Should Chinese monetary policymakers be concerned about rising debt levels?
- What steps should Chinese leadership take to regain the European Union’s favor?
- How will the election of Yoshihide Suga impact Chinese-Japanese relations?
International Trade (Semifinals)
- What are the implications of OPEC cutting oil demand forecasts?
- Can the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership survive without India?
- Have the Trump administration’s disputes with the WTO effectively hobbled the organization’s efforts to promote international trade?
- Will COVID-19 derail the implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement?
- Will Britain come to regret their continued Brexit brinkmanship in EU trade talks?
- Will Oracle’s TikTok acquisition serve as a model for future “trusted partnerships” amid growing data sovereignty?
- Will the Australian shift toward India for trade successfully reduce their dependence on China?
- What are the implications of the warming relationship between Iran and Venezuela?
The New Normal (America, Post-COVID-19) (Finals)
- Will the COVID-19 pandemic slow the growth of “superstar” cities in America?
- Has COVID-19 irreversibly embedded a distrust of science in the American people?
- What long-term effects will the COVID-19 pandemic have on the movie industry?
- Will the COVID-19 pandemic further entrench generational disconnects in America?
- How has COVID-19 changed international climate change policymaking?
- What will be the long-term implications of austerity measures taken by state and local governments in response to COVID-19?
- What changes to public education made during the pandemic will be permanent?
- What will tourism look like after the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Has the COVID-19 pandemic permanently changed economists’ perceptions of inflation?
- Will historians look at COVID-19 as the end of the Pax Americana?
- Will labor unions emerge from the pandemic stronger than before?
- What steps should politicians take to prevent public colleges from becoming insolvent due to COVID-19?